A brand new survey of worldwide vacationers launched by the Nationwide Journey and Tourism Bureau discovered that 33.5 million People went to Mexico in 2022.
Not solely does this make Mexico the most well-liked vacation spot amongst People final yr, however this quantity additionally represents a 17% enhance over the variety of People who visited their southern neighbor in 2021.
In the meantime, the UK was the highest abroad vacation spot for 2022, attracting 3.7 million US travellers.
Canada additionally welcomed its fair proportion of People in 2022. About 9.1 million to be precise, which is a whopping 334% in comparison with 2021.
A complete of 80.7 million People traveled outdoors the nation final yr, which is 64% greater than in 2021. The 2022 quantity represents 81% of journey ranges in comparison with 2019 (when 99.7 million People traveled internationally).
Further highlights from the 2022 report embrace:
- US visits to overseas international locations in 2022 (38.1 million) elevated 109% from 2021, which is as much as 85% of 2019 ranges.
- The biggest international locations visited overseas have been the UK (3.7 million), France (3.1 million), Dominican Republic (2.7 million), Italy (2.6 million), and Germany/Spain (each 2.0 million).
- The highest states of residence for US vacationers to overseas locations have been California (5.4 million), New York (5.1 million), Florida (4.5 million), Texas (2.9 million), and New Jersey (2.5 million).
The report additionally revealed a wide range of different noteworthy traits about People who traveled overseas in 2022.
For instance, those that did have been among the many wealthiest People: the median annual family revenue for an abroad traveler in the US was $148,000. Moreover, these vacationers stayed on trip a median of 17.9 nights.
Two-thirds of those that took half in worldwide journey final yr did so for trip, whereas 44% did so to go to mates or kinfolk. Enterprise journey remains to be far behind, accounting for simply 9% of worldwide journeys amongst People in 2022, and should not have absolutely recovered from the pandemic.
The journey business additionally continued to get better in the beginning of 2023, in response to the SIAT report. For the second quarter of 2023, the variety of air vacationers from the US to overseas international locations elevated by 8.9% in comparison with the second quarter of 2019.
Crucial overseas international locations that People are heading to this yr? The UK nonetheless leads the pack with 1.6 million People heading to the nation as of the second quarter of 2023. This represents a 25% enhance on 2019.
Further further locations for the primary two quarters of 2023 (in comparison with 2019 numbers) embrace:
- Italy: 1.5 million guests, up 35%
- France: 1.3 million, up 22%
- Dominican Republic: 993,000, up 14%
- Spain: 867 thousand guests, a rise of 18%